As the world is getting digitized, almost everyone has a Smartphone. Smartphones make it very simple to access the data from anywhere and anytime. There are different kinds of operating systems that are making it easier for users to fulfill all their requirements. Also, mobile apps play an equal role in providing convenience to the mobile phone users. In spite of, the presence of Apple iOS, Blackberry, Microsoft, and others, Android is still the most popular OS across the globe. Here is the list of Android versions launched so far:
- Android Version 1.5: Cupcake
- Android Version 1.6: Donut
- Android Version 2.0 and 2.1: Eclair
- Android Version 2.2: Froyo
- Android Version 2.3, 2.4: Gingerbread
- Android Version 2.4: Still Gingerbread
- Android Version 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2: Honeycomb
- Android Version 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich
- Android Version 4.1: Jelly Bean
- Android Version 4.4: KitKat
- Android Version 5.X: Lollipop
- Android Version 6.X: Marshmallow
- Android Version 7: Nougat (2016)
- Android Version 8: Oreo (2017)
- Android Version 9: P (2018, in its beta stage)
Market Usage of Android
Since its inception, Android usage share is growing day-by-day. The new versions of Android are dominating the older one. That doesn’t mean every version of Android is getting the same amount of popularity. Among all the popular versions only a few have stolen the heart of the users. In 2017, it was Marshmallow. There are multiple reasons behind Marshmallow’s such popularity. Some of these are:
- It allows you to use “OK Google” anytime on the home screen
- It locks your screen message
- Displays battery percentage on your status bar
- It has a smarter volume control, etc.
However, from the last three months, it is struggling to be at the top position. You must be curious to know the most popular Android version of 2018, so far. I have come up with a list of July month report that will clear all your doubts. However, before that have a look at the January 2018 report so that you can compare it with July month to analyze the true winner. Moreover, these reports would help you to take a good decision for your mobile application development.
Most Popular Android Versions January 2018
At the beginning of the year, Marshmallow was at the top position, followed by Nougat. However, it was expected that Nougat would acquire the first position. The actual competition was between Marshmallow and Nougat. Refer the table to know the most popular Android version of January 2018.
After seeing the table, it was tough to predict that Nougat would leave Marshmallow behind. Consider the report of last three months i.e. May, June, and July 2018 to know the current situation.
Most Popular Android Version May 2018
Among all Android versions, Nougat became the most popular and used version of Android OS. Marshmallow used to hold the top position, started to lose its market. It tumbles down to 25.5%. Whereas, Oreo’s popularity increased by 5%.
Most Popular Android Version of June 2018
Nougat version, including 7.0 and 7.1 was on the top with a 34% share, followed by Marshmallow in the second position. Lollipop was able to secure the third position, although faced with the depreciation in usage share. The usage share of only two Android versions had increased, and Oreo was one of them.
Most Popular Android Version of July 2018
July was a wonderful month for Android Oreo version. Where all the other versions depreciated by 1 or 2 percent, Oreo continued to rise and increased by 6.4%. Moreover, within two months it crossed 12 percent in Android usages share. However, Android Nougat is also not going to leave its ground so early. Also, it seems that Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich will go out of the list of Android most popular version. This is because they are continuously dropping down by 0.1% every month.
Important Note: The Android usage share for numerous Android versions has been clubbed as per their codename. You may go to Google’s developer portal, in order to get the usage share for individual Android versions.
Who Wins the Race of Most Popular Android Version?
- As per the latest report from Google, Android Marshmallow is dominating the other Android versions.
- While Marshmallow version is at the second position of most popular Android version list’s and loved by most of the users, there is still a tough competition between Oreo, Nougat, and Marshmallow Android version.
- The least Android version i.e. Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich occupied approximately 0.3% of customers in the Android Market. Most of the Android devices are not supporting these Android versions.
- Here, in the list of most popular Android version, you must have seen the second least version i.e. Jellybean. It occupied around 3.6% of customers in the Android market. This is the least required version of Android and is not needed by the Android apps.
- Coming to fourth most popular version i.e Kitkat occupied approximately 9.1% customers in the Android market. This version is rarely required by the high-end app variants.
- The third popular Android edition is now Lollipop. This occupied around 20.4% of customers in the Android market. This Android edition is required by some low price variants. Most of the Android users love this version.
- The second most popular Android edition today is Marshmallow, which is occupied by around 23.5% users. If we combine all the reports from 2017 to till now, then Marshmallow will without any doubt acquire the first position.
- From last three months report, it is clear that Nougat is at first position. Approximately 30.8% of users are accessing this Android edition on their mobile phones, especially the mid-range phones. In fact, because of the lack of Oreo testing, several manufacturers build Nougat Android-based versions.
A lot of things have been changes over the past few years for the Android operating system. Therefore, if you are thinking to develop an app that is compatible with the popular Android versions, then this list would surely help you. Make sure you hire efficient mobile app developers, in order to build an app.