Technology has advanced and made our lives smarter, trendier and tech savvy. Mobile application development companies make daily headlines with new updates and the market gets overcrowded with the smartphones and corresponding millions of applications for installation.
Also Read: 5 healthcare applications to track health
Also Read: VR scope in healthcare sector
However, the mobile app developers hardly realize such smart handsets can prove a bit tricky to operate and handle by our aged parents and other senior citizens?
I am not including all the seniors in this category because I have come across few aged persons who are as tech savvy as any young adult. But there are many few seniors who just fail to get a hang on the nitty-gritty of the many features that characterize a typical smartphone of this era.
So companies and the best mobile application companies are kind enough to come up with few such phones and mobile applications which are user-friendly for the older generation.
Allow me to introduce to a few such smart phones that are specifically designed for elderly people who are not tech savvy.
Also Read: Top 5 music apps for 2017
What are the 5 smart phones for senior citizens??
Samsung Galaxy S8- A bit pricey for the pocket, available for a hefty price of $900 in Indian market, does carries few of the latest and the best specifications. The display size of the mobile phone makes it the best option for elderly people especially those with visual impairments.
- 8 inch display screen
- Powered by octa-core 4×2.3 GHz and 4×1.7 GHz EMEA processor
- 4GB RAM and 64GB internal memory
- 12MP back and 8MP front camera
- Battery backup of 3000 mah
Jitterbug Smart and Jitterbug Touch 3- This particular brand was launched by GreatCall targeting elderly people.
- Simple and user friendly interface to navigate
- Medical and emergency services easily accessible from the device
- Jitterbug smart has 5.5 inch display with HD resolution. On the other hand, Jitterbug Touch 3 has 4-inch display with a 480 x 800 resolution
- Jitterbug smart 8GB internal storage, expandable memory with microSD card up to 32 GB. Jitterbug Touch 3 has 4GB internal storage, expandable with microSD card up to 64 GB.
- Jitterbug smart features 5MP rear camera, 2MP front-facing camera, and its other version has 5 MP rear camera, VGA front-facing camera.
- Jitterbug smart has a battery backup of 2,500 mAh, and Jitterbug Touch 3 has 1,500 mAh battery backup.
- Both have hearing aid compatibility feature
iPhone 6 Plus- This particular phone can be considered one of the largest iPhone you can expect.
- 5 inch screen- Enough space to deliver an easy view of photos, videos and read texts by enlarging the font size.
- Easy to learn software- The phone options and controls are less complicated and minimal in number to choose from in setting up or navigating the phone.
- Fingerprint reader- No need to remember passwords. The fingerprint reader option safeguards all the delicate information stored in the handset.
- Personal assistant like Siri- Hold the home button to seek help from the personal assistant i.e. Siri for internet searches, make phone calls, access applications and many more.
Mitashi Play Senior Friend- The smartphone bought out by Mitashi has specific designs customized to make user friendly for the seniors of our world.
- Simplified home screen
- Battery and network indicators present in large size
- Specific icons such as messaging, calling, photo gallery, SOS are pretty big in size and vibrant colors to give them a visual prominence.
- Dual Sim with 1.2GHz dual-core processor
- Ram- 512 MB
- 4 inch display
- 4GB inbuilt storage and expandable memory
Emporia Smart- An European device, you get to enjoy two worlds, means this is a smart touch screen Android phone but also carries a keypad cover for few users who still prefer using a physical keypad to dial numbers or type a text message such as our elders.
- 5-inch display with a 960 x 540 resolution
- 2 GHz dual-core processor with 1GB RAM
- 4 GB internal storage with further expandable memory through micro SD up to 64 GB
- 8 MP rear camera with 1 MP front-facing camera
- 2,600 mAh battery
- Hearing aid compatible
- Emergency call button to automatically connect to 5 preset numbers.
Now most of the above-mentioned options for smartphones do not come easy on pricing and few of them can seriously tax you high against your decided budget. Do not worry!! You can make use of any smartphone that suits your pocket yet make it user friendly for your family seniors by installing the following apps on their smart handsets.
Applications- There is quite a few smartphone apps that allow users to have some similar functions catering to the elderly users mentioned aforehand on their any other smart phone.
Large Launcher- This a third party launcher available on Google Play store that can be installed in any smart handset but features the similar functions making any smartphone user friendly for the elders.
- Large visual interface for seniors and visually impaired users
- Large font and vibrant color coded icons
- Simple and easy to use menus
- SOS button on the screen to send out emergency message or call to a specific contact of the user’s choice.
- Quick dialing.
Big Launcher- A very similar application to that of Large Launcher, the features makes the smart handset usable by seniors, children, and people with eye diseases, motor problems, or who are legally blind.
- SOS button
- Multilingual support
Also Read: 5 radio android applications for FM lovers
Senior citizens need not worry any more since the above mentioned smartphones and the applications carry embedded features and functionalities that will cater to your requirement. The icons, display image and keypads are wide enough to simplify your usage and is definitely soothing to your eyes. The top-rated mobile application development companies such as Fluper design apps that have features which are less intricate so that less tech savvy users succeed in learning the nitty gritty of such apps. Moreso there are certain healthcare apps to benefit the senior citizens which aid in detecting sugar and pressure level, the usual ailments of the old age, if you plan on designing an application for the seniors then avail the service of such developers as Fluper by contacting the team:
WhatsApp on 9811214178